CPanel has become a key tool used in IT managed services recently. CPanel significantly eases the administration of dedicated and virtual servers. CPanel provides an easy to use graphical interface for most common management tasks.
Why CPanel Dedicated Server solutions?
The move to e-commerce and working from home because of the pandemic has meant many IT departments are implementing new systems. They are doing this with limited budgets and are looking seriously at reducing IT spending. They can do this by consolidating different systems onto a single dedicated server platform, often by using a virtual server approach.
The major problem is the management of the server. Often, an IT department does not have the skilled resources available to manage a dedicated server or virtual server farm. Hiring new staff will lose the cost benefits of consolidation. CPanel answers these concerns.
The alternative is to enlist the services of a managed service provider (“MSP”) like HostSailoras a host for the new web-based services. That gives access to skilled support services and removes the need for expensive capital expenditure on new hardware and software. The MSP will probably use CPanel in their own environment.
What is CPanel?
CPanel is an Open systems-based software utility often used to manage user accounts in a managed service environment. It is also used in an in-house environment to help departments with limited resources carry out server management tasks.
While CPanel is most used in a web hosting environment through the WHM component, it does have the range of tools necessary to manage a much broader range of server functions.
It supports a wide range of management activities, such as:
- Command-line and API-based access. This allows third parties such as software vendors, web hosting organizations, and developers to integrate with CPanel. Integrating third party management service components can ease the server management overhead. Examples include the automation of standard system administration processes and PGP key management;
- Creating new email accounts and managing access to these accounts in different mail servers and clients;
- Creating and managing FTP accounts, as well as supporting DirectAccess to files through a file browser;
- Allowing security and network managers to check how users are conforming with quota limits for email, file size, and database;
- Assisting the creation, deletion, and editing of databases, and supporting access to database management utilities like phpMyAdmin;
- Supporting the installation of third-party solutions through a one-click install. Typical applications include WordPress and other content management systems;
- Monitoring CPU, hard drive, memory and other resource usages;
- Troubleshooting potential and known issues by scanning relevant logs; and
- Providing tools for traffic analysis, to assist business marketing or equipment monitoring.
What is CPanel WHM?
WHM is a CPanel implementation and is short for WebHost Manager and is probably more commonly used than raw CPanel. It exists at two levels, “Root” and “non-Root”. Root WHM is used by the server admins, and non-Root by users with a lower privilege level supporting less powerful capabilities.
WHM also provides the capability to manage SSL certificates and provides domain and sub-domain management. It can also manage server-based FTP, Email Client access and SSH services.
These facilities are usually reserved for the Root WHM user.
Non-root users have access to restricted, but still powerful services. Simply put, they are designed to allow non-root users in a managed environment, such as a VPS environment, to manage specific areas like user accounts rather than the entire server. In an in-house environment, non-root users could manage specific server or application instances, such as Apache, PHP, or Perl installations.
The Advantages of CPanel Dedicated Server?
CPanel is equally suited to both advanced users and newbies. It will help in-house IT departments by allowing resources who are unfamiliar with server management to manage servers. Because it is platform-independent, it helps resources unfamiliar with a particular operating system provide effective support services. This is particularly relevant today since some users are migrating to Cloud-based services on a different operating system platform.
It is equally at home in allowing a user to manage a dedicated server or virtual servers in a VPS environment.
If you are using an MSP, you will probably find that your server comes with CPanel already installed.
If you are still unsure, HostSailor can help. Read our guide to CPanel or contact us to have an informal discussion about how we can help with your CPanel installation.